Estimated Arrival: Between Mar 05 and Mar 11. *ETA to the USA Only
Shipping & Returns: Free Shipping on Most Orders $75 and Up.
The HI96811 is a rugged, portable digital refractometer designed for sugar measurement of juice and must. The HI96811 reports sugar content as % Brix and has a high accuracy of ±0.2%. The operation of the meter is simplified with only two buttons: one button is to calibrate with distilled or deionized water and the other to take a measurement. All readings are automatically compensated for temperature variations according to the ICUMSA Methods Book standard and displayed within a 1.5 second response time. The sealed flint glass prism and stainless steel well are easy to clean. Just wipe with a soft cloth in preparation for the next sample.
- Sample size as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
- Sealed stainless steel well with high-grade optical prism made of flint glass
- Fast 1.5 second response time for temperature compensated readings
The HI96811 Digital Refractometer converts the refractive index of a juice or must sample to % Brix. This conversion is based on the tables found in the ICUMSA Methods Book (International Commission for Uniform Methods of Sugar Analysis) that documents the changes in the refractive index with temperature for a percent by weight sucrose solution. Since the majority of sugar in grape juice and must is fructose and glucose instead of sucrose, the reading is sometimes referred to as “Apparent Brix”. Typical grapes at harvest will be between 19-24% Brix or degrees Brix (°Bx). The HI96811 is an easy-to-use tool for winemakers for measuring sugar in grapes or must, in the field or in the lab.
- Designed for winemaking sugar analysis
- Temperature Compensation algorithms based on sucrose solution
- 0 to 50% Brix range with an accuracy of +/- 0.2% Brix
Making a Standard % Brix (Sucrose) Solution
To make a Brix Solution, follow the procedure below:
- Place container (such as a glass vial or dropper bottle that has a cover) on an analytical balance.
- Tare the balance.
- Weigh out X grams of high purity sucrose (CAS #: 57-50-1) directly into a beaker.
- Add distilled or deionized water to the beaker so the total weight of the solution is 100g.
- Note: Solutions above 65% may need to be vigorously stirred or shaken and heated in a water bath to roughly 40°C (104°F).
- Remove solution when sucrose has dissolved and allow to cool before use.
The HI96811 takes measurements based on a sample’s refractive index. The refractive index is a measurement of how light behaves as it passes through the sample. Depending on the sample’s composition, the light will refract and reflect differently. By measuring this activity with a linear image sensor, the sample’s refractive index can be assessed and used to determine its physical properties such as concentration and density. In addition to the linear image sensor, the HI96811 uses an LED light, prism and lens to make measurement possible.
Variations in temperature will affect the accuracy of refractometry readings, so the use of temperature compensation is highly recommended for reliable results. The HI96811 contains a built-in temperature sensor and is programmed with temperature compensation algorithms in accordance with the ICUMSA Methods Book Standard for a percent by weight sucrose solution.
- One-point calibration - Calibrate with distilled or deionized water
- Small sample size - Sample size can be as small as 2 metric drops (100 μl)
- Quick, accurate results - Readings are displayed in approximately 1.5 seconds
- Dual-level LCD - The dual-level LCD displays % Brix and temperature readings simultaneously
- Battery indicators - Battery percent level remaining at startup and low battery indicator
- Automatic shut-off - To conserve battery life the meter shuts off automatically after three minutes of non-use
- Stainless steel sample well - Easy to clean and corrosion-resistant
- IP65 water-resistant protection - Water resistant ABS plastic casing designed to perform under laboratory and field conditions.
- Automatic Temperature Compensation (ATC) - Samples automatically compensated for temperature variations
- 1 button calibration, only requires 2 metric drops of sample (100 μl), fast 1.5 second response time for temperature compensated readings
- IP65 Water Resistant Protection with ABS plastic casing for both lab and field conditions
- LCD display displays both %Brix and temperature simultaneously, automatic shut off after 3 min of non use to preserve battery life